GONVILL AND CAIUS COLLEGE (Cambridge).
GONVILL AND CAIUS COLLEGE (Cambridge). (Founded in the year 1 348 by Edmund Gonvill, Rector of Terrington and Rushworth, in Norfolk, who called it Gonvill Hall. Afterwards it was further amply endowed by the learned antiquary, Dr John Caius, who obtained leave from Queen Mary to be a cofounder, whereupon it was called Gonvill and Caius College.) Argent on a chevron between two couple-closes indented sable, three escallops or, for Gonvill, impaling or, semee of flowers gentle, in the middle of the chief a sengreen resting upon the heads of two serpents in pale, their tails knit together, all proper colours, resting upon a square marble stone vert in fesse a bible bound .sable, for Caius, the whole within a bordure gobony argent and sable. Crest — On a wreath of the colours, a dove argent, beaked and membered gules, holding in the beak by the stalk a flower gentle stalked vert. [Granted by Robert Cooke, Clarenceux, 1571.]
Original Source bookofpublicarms00foxd_djvu.txt near line 11359.